Department of Cardiology: Admissions CriteriaAdults: Criteria for Admission as an Inpatient
- All emergency admissions to initially be discussed with the consultant on call.
- Valvular heart disease requiring workup for cardiac surgery ¡V ill decompensated patient not improving on medical management.
- Congenital heart disease requiring workup for surgery.
- Patients requiring diagnostic cardiac catheterisation.
- Ischaemic Heart Disease ¡V post myocardial infarction in cardiogenic shock requiring intra aortic balloon pump or with post infarct angina ¡V emergency resuscitation.
- Ischaemic Heart Disease ¡V post myocardial infarction in catheter based interventions: PMV, Amplatzer, PTCA, IVUS, stent.
- Patients requiring permanent pacemaker implantation.
- Patient with acute myocardial infarction for planned PTCA ¡V to be confirmed telephonically with consultant.
- Uncontrolled arrhythmias requiring specialist supervised medical treatment or electrophysiological studies.
- Selected patients with pericardial, myocardial or endocardial disease requiring special investigations, e.g. hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM), arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia for biopsy, infiltrative myocardial disease, constrictive pericarditis.
- Ill patients requiring stabilization.
- Transplant assessment workup.
- All planned investigations completed and a satisfactory diagnosis and management plan has been made, provided no immediate intervention or surgery anticipated.
- Selected patients requiring further specialist follow-up and intervention or surgery will be called back for Outpatient follow-up.
- Post catheterization/intervention/surgery patients in stable and satisfactory condition.
- Every patient discharged will be followed up by the referral hospital.